The Power Of Words
The words we speak, along with the manner in which we say them, give insight into our spirituality and what kind of character we possess. Have you ever heard other Christians, who try to defend their harsh demeanor, or harmful speech by saying “I can’t help it, I have always been that way” as if to mean God created them that way and they cannot change! Followers of Christ ought to be the most mannerly, respectful, and kind individuals in the way they talk to one another and their fellow man.
The Bible has much to say about our tongue and the words we speak.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell (James 3:6).
Have you ever hurt someone through the words you spoke? Have you ever been on the receiving end of harmful speech?
Listen More, Speak Less!
“Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger” (James 1:19). We need to practice listening!
Heal Not Hurt
Proverbs 16:24, The New Century Version reads “Pleasant words…” Our manner is as important as the words we speak! What is your general reaction to someone who is offensive in their manner of speaking? We are probably not going to take them seriously and avoiding their company will be high priority. “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (Proverbs 12:18).
“Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person” (Colossians 4:6).
Careful Not Careless
“ I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:36-37). “So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty” (James 2:12).
Resolve to make sure that your words heal not harm! Remember “Be careful little tongue what you say?”
The Hatfield’s Are Coming
We are getting excited about the Hatfield family (Robert, Emily, Anna, and Owen) coming to begin work with us August 4th. If you would like to contact Robert or Emily Hatfield: firstname.lastname@example.org or on his cell, 803-526-7478. Continue to pray for a smooth transition for them and that their home will sell quickly. Their current address is 5460 Altamaha Drive, North Charleston, SC 29420.
For the month of July we are collecting canned sweet potatoes and boxed mashed potatoes. Please see William Ireland if you have any questions.
“The Pearl” Service
We conduct a service each Sunday afternoon at 1:00 pm at The Pearl of Fort Mill memory care facility next door.
We rejoice at the baptism of Camryn Hunter this past week.
Lads To Leaders Kickoff
You are invited to the kickoff potluck for our Lads to Leaders/Leaderettes program on Sunday, August 11 following AM services in the fellowship hall. ALL ages are welcome, from student participants (preschool to high school) to adults who want to participate and/or help our children learn the Bible. The potluck sign-up list is on the bulletin board. Please see Matt Guy with questions.
Tuesday Morning Ladies Bible Class
Ladies, if you are available on Tuesday mornings, you are welcome to join us beginning September 10 @ 10:00 am the Ladies Bible Class season will begin! We are so excited about our upcoming study from the book, It’s a Red-Letter Day, “How the words of Jesus impact the hearts of women today.” A sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board. We look forward to growing in the Lord together – one day at a time! If you need more information, please see Mary Carter.
Moving Assistance Needed
Les Cole will be moving August 5th and needs help; as he has a bad back. (379 S. Garrison Apt. # B4 (Carolina Place Apartments); Rock Hill, SC 29730. Please see Les with questions, 803.616.4993.
Save The Date VBS
ROAR! Life is Wild, God is Good! Registration for VBS deadline is this Wednesday the 24th! Age two thru rising 6th grade. Wednesday, July 31st – Friday, August 2nd from 5:00 – 8:30. Dinner will be served. Please sign up by filling out a registration card, one per family, and placing it into the VBS box by the bulletin board.
VBS needs your help collecting empty toilet paper rolls. There is a basket by the bulletin board for collection.
Congregational “Family Legacy” Weekend
Save the date for an exciting congregational family weekend with speakers Lonnie Jones & Ben Hayes, August 30, – September 1. Our theme for this weekend is “Legacy: Living Beyond Ourselves”.
Saturday, August 31 we will have our congregational picnic at Westminster Park (Rock Hill), a fun-filled family day is planned. We will have a cook out, Pelican’s snow balls, ultimate Frisbee and Devos! Mark your calendars NOW!
Southeastern Children’s Home Change Cans
It is time for the annual change can campaign for the Southeastern Children’s Home. Cans are available in the foyer.
Save The Date Ladies Retreat
Ladies mark your calendars and plan to attend our ladies retreat at Litchfield Beach
Resort, October 11-13, 2019 . Cost is $80 per person. Details to come soon!
Indian Land Worship Service Tonight
The next Indian Land worship service will be July 28th at the Indian Land Rec Center; 8286 Charlotte Highway at 5:00 pm with Chad Garrett speaking. Following services there will be a business meeting and potluck dinner. Check out the new web page: indianlandcoc.org
7.28 Joint Service @ Kannapolis COC/
8.3 Mountain Empire Men’s Fellowship/Johnson City, TN
Wednesday Night Cool Down
No Cool Down this week due to VBS.
Middle/ High Summer Devos
Tuesday night MS/HS devo sign-up sheet is posted on the bulletin board! Tuesday’s from 7-830. The devo this Tuesday will be at the building . This will also be a time to help prepare for VBS.
Middle, High, and College Girls Bible Study
The next Bible study will be Friday, August 2nd at 9:30 am at the home of Heather Powell: 250 Miller Pond Road, Rock Hill. See Haley Cox with questions.
Middle, High, and College Back to School Cookout
There will be a back to school cookout at the Hager’s on Friday August 9 from 7-10 pm. The address is 1963 Nell Ramsey Rd, Edgemoor, SC.
Stay In The Loop/ Remind App
Parents and young people, make sure you have the remind app downloaded to your phones to stay connected to all of our youth events and details.
* Keith Franklin had a stent placed this past Tuesday.
* Lou Johnson has been unable to get out recently, and is feeling discouraged.
* Bonnie Hunter requests our prayers for some tests she will be having.
* Cris Newell is making slow improvement.
* Prayers for Tim Bannister & Sandy Ibbetson to continue doing well.
* Shontrell Overton’s mother, Carol Johnson had a successful Kidney transplant.
* The mothers’ of Barb Arbaugh, Rodney Grant, April Greene, Linda Hill, Jim Passmore, Len Patterson, Ron Shepherd, and Mark Walker, are all dealing with various health issues.
* The fathers’ of Jerry Brooks, and Greg Gross are dealing with various health issues.
* Bert Schick’s daughter Mylisa Binnell is experiencing a ‘shut-down’ of the left side of her body.
* Sandra Murray’s brother, Tom Ratliff had a stroke and will have 3 surgeries in the next 5 weeks.
* Cheryl Ford’s Uncle, Grover Fincher has been diagnosed with cancer.
* Wayne Cherry’s nephew, Tony Harris has been diagnosed with non-alcoholic Cirrhosis.
* Charles Taylor’s co-worker, Helene Ward has begun chemo for cancer found in his lymph nodes.
* Charles Taylor requests we keep the family of Todd Jenkins in our prayers, also the American Airlines maintenance family as they are dealing with the losses of several co-workers recently.
* Mark & PJ Inness’ neighbors, the Stillwell family update* Linden had some more tests.
* Sue Burkhammer’s co-worker’s nephew (Zac) has had some serious setbacks.
* Tim Mastenbrook requests prayers that Mr. and Madam Beljour get their US Visas to come from Haiti for her emergency heart surgery in time to save her life.
* We extend our sympathy to John Wade on the passing of his sister, Delorma Atkison. The funeral service was Saturday in Indiana.
* Remember our shut-ins: Gloria Girard, Ruby Lett, and Lois Viera.
Sermons & Classes
Summer Quarter Classes (June 2)
Sunday Adult Auditorium:
“13 Incredible Prophecies”
“Consider One Another”
Summer Quarter Classes (June 5)
Wednesday Adult Auditorium:
7.31 Jeff Willis
“The Hand of God”
8.7 Greg Gross
“Joseph & Forgiveness”
8.14 Chuck Dohm
8.14 Jason Harvey
“Serving In A Secular World”