1055 Gold Hill Road;
Fort Mill, SC 29708
Missionary in Residence
December 30, 2018
Who Are We? Loyalty
Are you on our side? … Lord, are you on our side or theirs? The question, therefore, is not if God is on our side, but rather, are we on God’s side? You man recall that Abraham Lincoln said as much during the Civil War. In 1863 he overheard someone say that he hoped “the Lord was on the Union’s side.” The president responded: “I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord’s side (How Would Jesus Vote, 10).
“Who is on the Lord’s side? (Exodus 32:26). One who does not “take sides” by exercising his ability to decide will automatically do so by failing to exercise his ability. If one does not take sides with the Lord by choice, he will thereby take sides with the devil by default. The questions is not “shall I take sides?” but it is “Which side shall I take?”
Loyalty defined: “The quality of character which issues in free devoted service to the appointed person or the appointed cause. So, the perfectly loyal person is certain to obey, to serve, despite all obstacles, at all costs, to the best of his ability.”
Yet the range of interest among Christians often varies widely when we are considering our loyalty to Christ and His church.
Some are filled with zeal (1 Thessalonians 1:2-3; 2 Thessalonians 1:3-4).
- Attending services regularly
- Willing to make sacrifices
- Studying the Bible diligently
- Teaching and inviting others to the Lord
Others become lukewarm (Revelation 3:15-16).
- Attending services sporadically
- Giving “left overs” to the Lord
- Neglecting opportunities to study and grow
- With little to no personal work
Some even become cold, forsaking the Lord (2 Timothy 4:10).
- Quitting the services of the church altogether
- Covetous in their time and money
- With Bibles collecting dust due to lack of use
- Ashamed of the church and the gospel of Christ
“To Christ be loyal and be true; He needs brave volunteers
To stand against the powers of sin, Moved not by frowns or fears.”
“To Christ be loyal and be true; In noble service prove
Your faith and your fidelity, The fervor of your love.”
“To Christ be loyal and be true, And He will be your Friend,
Defending and protecting you To life’s triumphant end.”
2019 Devotional Books Are Here
The Elders have provided us with a 2019 devotional study book. Pick up your copy in the foyer. Please mark your name off of the provided list as you pick up your book. Additionally there are previous years’ books on the buffet in the foyer to share with your friends.
Autumn Leaves Worship Service
We conduct a service each Sunday afternoon at 1:00 pm at the Autumn Leaves memory care facility next door. See Mark Walker with questions.
Indian Land Potluck & Business Meeting
There will be a potluck lunch followed by a business meeting Sunday, January 6th following am services at GHR. Everyone that is interested in the Indian Land work is invited to join. See Tim Bannister with questions.
New Horizons Bible Study Cancelled Next Week
Will Resume January 9th at 1:00 pm there is a Bible study here at the building for all of those in the New Horizons Care Group. This will be an ongoing Bible Study at 1:00 for the foreseeable future. Anyone is welcome, but is especially designed for our seniors who may have challenges getting out at night. See Keith Franklin with questions.
Save The Date Digital Parenting Seminar
We will be having a digital parenting seminar January 26 & 27th with speaker Chad Landman. Additionally, Robert Hatfield will be conducting a special afternoon session on Sunday at 4:00 pm on Digital Evangelism and will preach our pm service. Make plans to attend this seminar now. See the schedule below and sign up on the bulletin board.
Saturday, January 26th
9:30 – 9:45 am
Donuts & Coffee
9:45- 10:00 Prayer, Welcome, Introduction
10:00 Session 1 “Becoming A Better Digital Parent”
11:00 Session 2 “Social Media Awareness”
11:45-12:30 Lunch Provided
12:30 – 1:30 Session 3 “Device Control In Your Home And Beyond”
1:45-2:45 Session 4 “Parent / Child Session (interactive)”
Sunday, January 27th
Bible Class Auditorium
Chad Landman Session 5 “Learning Hard Lessons With Technology”
Chad Landman Session 6 “What Would Jesus Tweet? Luke 9:23”
4:00 pm Robert Hatfield “Digital Evangelism”
- Ann DeJarnett continues to face challenges with her recurring hip problem.
- Virginia Williams continues to recover from her recent hip surgery.
- Walter VonHelms is recovering at home from his recent back surgery.
- Haley Sappe continues to recover at home following her back surgery.
- Ed Wampler had some tests this past week.
- Chuck Magee will have some surgery to remove some non-cancerous tumors in January.
- Tim Bannister is working toward receiving a stem cell transplant.
- Sandy Ibbetson recently received good news on her latest scan.
- The mother’s of Barb Arbaugh, Rodney Grant, Alan Jopson, Jim Passmore, Len Patterson, Ron Shepherd, and Mark Walker, are all dealing with various health issues.
- The father’s of Jerry Brooks, Greg Gross, Jake Hunter, and William Ireland, are all dealing with various health issues.
- Linda Hill’s parents are having some health challenges.
Please remember our Shut-Ins in your daily prayers:
Gloria Girard, Jimmie Greene, Ruby Lett, and Lois Viera.
- Angela Buchanan’s cousin, Erica Jackson has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is only 30 and this is the third time for her to receive some form of cancer treatment.
- Roger Craig’s sister, Trisha Hudson, has a non-treatable lung disease and asks for our prayers.
- Catherine Inness’ friend Max’s father suffered a major heart attack. Max is unaware as he is in boot camp.
- Gloria Girard’s sister has been diagnosed with cancer.
- Len Patterson’s co-worker, Alicia Williford who has cancer.
- Our deepest sympathy to Jack Barry on the passing of our sister, Gail Barry. There will be a brief memorial here following our am service today.
- Continue to remember Shawna Harvey, Anthony Overton, and Ken McCullough as they mourn the loss of loved ones.
Sermons & Classes
Tonight our pm service will be led by our youth. Jacob & Stephen Chesney will be doing the devotional.
Sunday Winter Quarter Classes (December 2)
Sunday Adult Auditorium:
Joshua/ D. Beels, E. Bitting, K. Franklin
Bible Boot Camp/ Brett Pharr
W/C Room: Man– Up/ Steve Miller
Library: College/ Jake Hunter
Wednesday Winter Quarter Classes (December 5)
Wednesday Adult Auditorium:
Philippians/ M. Guy, G. Shelton, T. Washington
Bible Boot Camp/ Brett Pharr
Schedule of Services
Sunday Bible School
9:30 am – 10:15 am
Sunday Morning Worship
Sunday Evening Worship
Wednesday Bible Study
1: Singles / Couples w/out children
Leader: Grant Alumbaugh & Andrew Chaney
2: Families w/ infants – Pre K
Leader: Jason Harvey & Clay Batts
3: Families w/ children K – 5th grade
Leader: Hampton Hager
4: Families w/ children 6th – 12th grade
Leader: William Ireland
5: Empty Nesters
Leader: Jerry Brooks
LEAD Institute Website:
Password: church / Recipient last name
Scripture: Ethan Haskin
Preside Table: Mark Walker
1 Assist: Justin Powell
2 Assist: Marvin Redd
3 Assist: Marty Rosener
4 Assist: David Savage
5 Assist: Blake Savage
6 Assist: Ron Shepherd
7 Assist: Shawn Slauson
8 Assist: Doug Stallings
9 Assist: Jon Stewart
10 Assist: Zach Stone
11 Assist: Charles Taylor
12 Assist: Joe Theado
13 Assist: Pepper VanMeter
Opening Prayer: Steve Loiselle
Closing Prayer: Alexander Bannister
Usher: Jamie Ridenour & Brian Moss
Greeters Up: Lawrence & R Howard
Greeters Down: T & L Washington
Singing: Keith Frankilin
Nursery: Jaelin Ireland
A/V: William Ireland
Scripture: Asa Jopson
Opening Prayer: Wilson Walker
Closing Prayer: Will Bramlet
Lord’s Supper: Aaron, Ethan and Wesley
Nursery: Susan George
Closing Prayer: Tod Grizzell
Comm. Prep.: Becker
Pickup Cups: 3rd Graders
Next Week (1/6)
Scripture: Will Bramlett
Preside Table: Andrew Chaney
1 Assist: Barry VanHamme
2 Assist: John Wade
3 Assist: Mark Walker
4 Assist: Ed Wampler
5 Assist: Roger Whytsell
6 Assist: Jimmy Williams
7 Assist: Derrick Williiamson
8 Assist: Jeff Willis
9 Assist: Derrek Wilson
10 Assist: Grant Alumbaugh
11 Assist: David Andrews
12 Assist: Alexander Bannister
13 Assist: Brian Buchanan
Opening Prayer: Clay Batts
Closing Prayer: Josh Buchanan
Usher: Eddie McClellan & Steve Loiselle
Greeters Up: R & S Shepherd
Greeters Down: J & C Brooks
Singing: Ben O’Donovan
Nursery: Ron Shepherd
A/V: Asa Jopson
Singing: Derrek Wilson
Scripture: Mike Collins
Opening Prayer: Chuck Dohm
Closing Prayer: Kris Eddy
Lord’s Supper: Paul Folger
Nursery: Sue Burkhammer
Singing: Caleb VanHamme
Closing Prayer: Rod Greene
Comm. Prep.: Shepherd
Pickup Cups: Kindergartners
St. Andrews Road Bible Bowl
We would like to get teams together for the South Carolina Bible Bowl to be held at St. Andrews Road Church of Christ in Columbia, SC on Saturday, February 16th, 2019. There are separate divisions for children and adult participants. The questions will be asked from Exodus ch. 1-20 (NKJV). If you have interest in participating in this event, please see Matt Guy.