Between Two Thieves
Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left” (Luke 23:32-33).
Jesus being crucified between two thieves was prophesied by Isaiah: “Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors” (53:12).
“But why did God order that his Son should be crucified between two thieves?
To demonstrate more fully the utter humiliation of his Son and the unfathomable depths of shame into which he had descended. Few truly realize the infinite condescension of the Savior in leaving Heaven’s glory and coming to earth’s shame.
To exhibit the shameful estimate that man had placed upon God’s peerless Son. He was despised and rejected of men. He was hated without a cause. Men gave him only three things: a manger for a cradle, a cross upon which to die, and a borrowed grave in which to place the body they had murdered.
God allowed Christ to hang between two thieves in order to present vividly the drama of salvation and man’s response thereto, and here it is: the Savior in the midst redeeming, the sinner on the left reviling and rejecting, and the sinner on the right receiving and repenting.
Putting the three crosses together, we have on the one hand a sinner lost, on the other a sinner saved, and between them the Savior of sinners accepted by one and rejected by another. On the left hand the rejecting thief died in his sin and went to Hades, the accepting thief died to sin and went to Paradise: the One on the Center Cross died for sin and for sinners-for you, for me, for anyone who will believe Him and obey His gospel” (The Minister’s Monthly).
Prayers & Updates
* Roy Jeffers had successful eye surgery and is home recovering.
* Mary Carter continues to make progress at home.
* Betty Baker continues to have episodes of passing out.
* Remember Shirley Jeffers as she manages her ongoing pain.
* Keep the parents of Brian Buchanan, and Robert Langford in your prayers with health issues. Also, Hampton Hager’s mother, and Len Patterson’s mother.
* Remember Keith Franklin’s sister; Tan Franklin. She is awaiting surgery.
* Joe Theado’s sister Helen continues to decline.
* Lynda Ott’s brother –in-law Is dealing with back pain due to some ‘nodules’ that have discovered.
* Leila Washington’s nephew was recently baptized, but is struggling.
* William Ireland requests prayers for the Curry family in Texas, they are dealing with the Corona virus.
* Gail Armstrong’s daughters both live and work in high risk COVID areas.
* Jim Passmore’s cousin, Marty Dolan has been diagnosed with lung cancer.
* Randall and Wendy Pena are parents to baby boy, Matthew Lucas Pena Alamanar last Friday. He weighed 7lbs 11 oz and was 20 “ long
* Continue to remember Jerry & Cathy Brooks on the passing of Jerry’s Father who passed away and for Jerry’s mother who is suffering with dementia.
Online Study, Prayer, & Worship
Þ Livestream Worship
Each Sunday morning at 10:30 am. Tune in to our Gold Hill Youtube.com/user/goldhillchurch.
Þ Children’s Bible Class
Sunday’s with Emily Hatfield. Youtube.com/user/goldhillchurch.
Þ Favorite Passages
Each Monday : Youtube.com/user/goldhillchurch a featured favorite passage will be shared from one of our men.
Þ Lunchtime Prayer
Tuesday’s at noon with Keith Franklin & Robert Hatfield via our Gold Hill Facebook page. Prayer requests are made through the comments in the live video.
Þ Wednesday Bible Study
Robert Hatfield & Steve Miller are leading a study discussion on prayer. Watch for new episodes each Wednesday afternoon through our Facebook page or Youtube.com/user/goldhillchurch.
Gold Hill Youth – Wednesday MS/ HS Summer Series
This week we meet at Aaron and Liz Knight’s Home – Plan to be outside for Food, Fun, Fellowship. 6 – 9 PM
For questions regarding our live stream or technical issues you are experiencing, please contact Tommie Washington: